DIY CD Hovercraft
My son had a ‘Toy Making’ event in school and it was quite a brain cracker for me. For someone who just got by science in school, this was tough because there had to be a scientific principle behind its functioning. Hmmm…. *grey cells cranked*
I remembered seeing this awesome idea of a DIY CD Hovercraft somewhere and telling myself “Hey, this one’s going to remind Ruhaan of air hockey!” So we decided to try out the DIY CD Hovercraft. It looked like easy child’s craft in-co-operating the essential re-use of discarded cd’s, dishwasher tops and basic principle of air pressure when exerted against a surface.
Things You Will need for The DIY CD Hovercraft:
Valve Type Dishwash or Sports drinks bottle tops
Hot Glue Gun or Super Sticky Glue
Steps to DIY CD Hovercraft
- We gave the old cd a minor face-lift to make it look a little sassy.
- Next we put the lid of the dishwasher bottle into close position and with caution put some hot glue on the bottom of the lid.
- This was placed exactly onto the center of the cd so that when the air from the balloon was released it would escape through the center.
- Next we blew up a balloon, twisted it and secured the mouth of the balloon around the top of the lid.
- After placing the CD Hovercraft onto a flat smooth surface, we undid the twist and pulled the lid of the dishwasher bottle top such that it opened. What happened next was awesome!! The CD Hovercraft hovered above the surface of the table for a while! The kids squealed and I was super happy with the fun that they had!
The simple scientific explanation here: The deflating of the air balloon forms an air cushion between the cd and the surface causing the cd to move.